Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Hey hey hey!

I've decided to create a new blog, to be separate from my writing blog, so I can talk about just about anything. And I hope to update this every Tuesday, thus the title of the blog (and yes, if you know the reference, you know what it means...)  There's just something restrictive about a "professional" blog like my I, the Author.

So, what's up? What's happening? How is it hanging?

I've been doing just fine, working hard over the last week, which is rather rare for me but it felt good. It's good to be on a roll, although it's sometimes very difficult to keep my focus. I do work better at night, between 1-4 a.m. The other day I worked until 6 in the morning (starting from 2 I kept telling myself to go to bed); I just suffered from the consequences later.

Let's face it, that's rare for me. I think the last time I did something like that was in 2001, when I was working on a project near New York and working on my first novel at the same time. But really, I'm usually a Lazy ass. Lazy with a capital L. I really am.

My coworkers and friends sometimes would tease me for not working all the hours. While they complain there are not enough hours in a day to do everything they need, I have time to play. The thing is, I do just as much, only that I do it much faster. They'd ask, "hey, if  you're so efficient, why don't you do more? Imagine what you can accomplish if you use all the available hours in the day!"  Ugh, yeah, I can imagine all right. I'd probably lost all interest in life and want to kill myself.   I'd say to them, "Look, I do just as much if not more, and I'm not going to do more just to cover your asses."  They tend to not like what I say. I just shrug and get on Facebook.

It's not an exaggeration. I really am THAT lazy, but I cover my own ass by being very efficient and rather good at what I do, so I use the rest of the time to play. To me, it's all about balance, but sometimes I'm not sure if I'm really "balanced."  Maybe not.  Maybe I actually play too much  (OK, GUILTY!)

I do wonder what I could have accomplished if I had worked more hours and pushed myself more, like a friend of mine who used to work 16-18 hours a DAY and he's a top executive in his Fortune 500 company now. I wonder where I would have been if I had done something like that. On the other hand, I can't complain about my life. I'm happy, and that's really important to me. I may not be where I wished/wanted to be career-wise, but I think life has more to offer than just work, work, work.

There's something to learn from the Italians, although not quite to that extent: they believe in "the pleasure of doing nothing."  Despite my natural repulsion against "doing absolutely nothing" (and I easily get bored -- give me a seven-day sit-on-the-beach-and-do-nothing holiday and I'd scream bloody murder), I do think there's some wisdom in that. The idea is to find "pleasure" in everything, even in doing nothing.

We city dwellers, especially in the US and Asia, are so used to the concept of DO, DO, DO... even my therapist said, "Don't focus on the DO. Focus on the BE."  It used to be very difficult for me to not DO.  It's easier for me now to enjoy the BE.

Now I'm hearing a song... DO BE DO BE DO...

It's time to sign off.

See you next Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. ::waves:: Yay! A new blog!! *follows* I'm Italian and, even though the "do nothing" philosophy runs rampant in my heritage, it's not part of this girl's life. Unless I'm sick. Like now. ::coughs:: The end. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your do-nothingness, even though you're sick (poor babe).

    ReplyDelete